Case Study: Attawheed Islamic Center
- Organization: Attawheed Islamic Center
- Type: Religious community center
- Programs: after-school
- Class size: 12
- Final participation: 22 students
- Age range: 3-15
- WAICY Instruction time: 3 sessions, 2 hours each
- WAICY Instructor: Computer Science Professor in the community
- Youth Program Instructors: Volunteers (senior high schools students in the center)
- AI-in-a-Box™ used: 7
- Male to Female ratio: 9 : 13
Attawheed Islamic Center (AIC) is located in Carnegie, PA and attracts more than 700 patrons, serving the Muslim Community of West Pittsburgh. Its Youth Academy program highlights learning and sharing opportunities for children in the community. The program serves students from age 5-14 over the weekend.
The Center hosted training sessions three times on weekends and each session was 2 hours long. One member of the community who is a computer scientist trained the students. They then attended the 4-day workshop hosted by ReadyAI. 22 students from the center participated in the 2018 World Artificial Intelligence Competition for Youth (WAICY) on July 28th, 2018. Two of the teams won prizes at the WAICY.
The Youth Academy program gives teenagers in the center an opportunity to learn and teach AI to younger children. Instructors are senior high school students or undergraduate students. After training, they would go on and commit to a class. They are also responsible for developing their own lesson plans and implement them.